Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Another cool Advent Wreath!



By Lacy from Catholic Icing 
As anyone who follows my facebook page knows, I’ve had trouble finding pink and purple candles for Advent this year. But really, this is nothing new- it’s hard every year. Sure, I could order them, but crafting them for super cheap is more my style ;-)
I started with regular white pillar candles from the Dollar Tree. See? (For the record, this green wreath is also from the Dollar Tree. I embellished it with this awesome glittery stuff I got on clearance after last Christmas and attached them with a glue gun. It cost me $3 to make the wreath, so with the candles it cost a total of $7).
Then I “painted” the candles with pink and purple crayons. I know a lot of people are into beeswax, but I hear crayola is on it’s way in. If your house is anything like mine, you probably have a bucket of broken crayon bits somewhere. Just peel them and discard the papers. (This is a great job for the 4 year old in your life.)
Painting with wax is actually called encaustic painting, and I did a little of it in college. That’s how I knew it wasn’t going to be the big pain-in-the-booty you might be thinking it is. All you do is put your wax in a shallow can (like a tuna can) and set it on you griddle on low. By the way, totally leave it to me to find craft uses for all of your kitchen stuff. It’s soooo much more fun that way!
It doesn’t take long for the wax to start melting this way, and you just leave it on the heat while you work. Little disclaimer to say this is really not a craft for small kids, and please don’t burn anyone.
You can stir it a little as it melts with a metal spoon. Don’t worry, all the wax will chip right off the spoon when it hardens, which won’t take long. Begin painting the wax onto your candles, but don’t use your favorite paint brush. 
Don’t try and make it look perfect, because you can’t. Just enjoy that home-crafted look. It’s fancy to have a hand crafted feel, like hand made soap or something, and I love it the personality it adds!
It covered very nicely for me in one coat, and it was very fast and easy to do. I would suggest painting your pink candle first so that you can use the same brush without attempting to clean it. A little bit of pink on your brush won’t contaminate your purple paint. 
Here’s my wreath with my newly painted pink and purple candles!
I’m aware that I’m posting a lot of pictures, but I’m really in love with my advent wreath this year! We’re traveling for Thanksgiving, so I wanted it to be ready to go as soon as we get back. I got the pink place mat under the wreath also at the Dollar Tree. I love that store!!!
For the pink one I painted the wick and everything, but I don’t like the look as well as leaving the wick white. And yes, I did try coloring with the candles, and yes- it totally worked! ;-)
I hope you guys aren't advented-out yet because I have another advent wreath craft coming your way soon! And anyone who missed yesterday’s edible advent wreath should go check it out!
*Updated to Say* Here’s how they’re burning:
The candle had a little trouble burning through the layer of crayon. I absorbed a little of the melted wax away from the wick with a paper towel, and now it’s burning beautifully! Other readers say that theirs are burning fine although the crayon seems to burn slower than the rest of the candle. I guess it depends on what kind of candle you start with. Mine are just super cheap candles from the Dollar Tree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment